Exfoliate & Hydrate with Our DIY Seaweed Scrub
Packed with lipids, proteins, minerals and vitamins, seaweed deeply moisturizes and penetrates skin, hair and nails like no other. Whether you suffer from dry skin, rosacea, acne or just want to give your skin a dazzling glow, seaweed can help from the inside out, and the outside in.
Our Seaweed Scrub is easy and inexpensive to make, and just in time for summer!
Time Required: 10 minutes
1. Choose either sugar or salt as your exfoliating base. Sugar is usually more gentle on the skin so we recommend this if you’ll be using the scrub on your face.
2. Choose an oil: Most oils will work, but our favorites are organic extra virgin coconut oil, olive oil and almond oil.
3. Prepare your seaweed. We prefer dry, ground kelp for added detoxifying benefits, but really you can use just about any ground seaweed. You can find seaweed at Whole Foods and other health-focused food stores or join us this summer and harvest your own seaweed from a kayak! It’s a pretty incredible experience. Once you’ve got your seaweed you can use your coffee grinder to grind it to the consistency you’re looking for. We like a finer consistency for the face, and rougher blend for the body scrub.
**Please pay close attention to the quality of seaweed that you use. Seaweed is a powerful detoxifier, and soaks up whatever is around it. You want to be certain that the seaweed you use comes from pristine waters. This is really important.
4. Finally, you’ll want to add 1 part oil and 1 part seaweed to 2 parts sugar or salt. Place anywhere from a few tablespoons to a cup of salt or sugar in a container, then add half that amount of oil and seaweed. Mix with a spoon. Keep in mind that it’s nearly impossible to keep the mixture fully mixed so don’t worry if the sugar settles to the bottom.
5. Scent your scrub, feel free to add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the mixture. We love lavender, clary sage and rose.
6. Apply to dry skin. Scrubs work best on dry skin so try and apply before you shower or bathe, and let the scrub soak in for a few moments before you wash it off. You can also use the sugar scrub as a mask, and keep it on longer (10 to 15 minutes).
Finally, Enjoy! You’ve just sloughed old skin cells, absorbed nourishing minerals and hydrated with a super moisturizing oil. Your skin should look and feel ah-mazing. Happy Summer!