This summer, trade your gardening shovel for a kayak paddle and harvest your greens from the Pacific Ocean.
More nutrient rich than kale or chard, seaweed is the miracle lettuce of the sea and contains almost all of the minerals found in the ocean. In Seaweed 101 we travel to beautiful Lopez Island to kayak and learn the ecology and uses of seaweed and sea vegetables. In addition to harvesting, drying and pickling enough seaweed to last your family the entire year, we’ll incorporate sea vegetables into all of our meals and craft a variety of beauty products using our harvested seaweed. You’ll leave with an expanded palate, some delicious new recipes, nourishing treatments for your skin and hair and an oceanic knowledge of seaweed history, nutrition and identification. Plus, harvesting from a kayak beats digging in the dirt any day! * No kayaking experience necessary.
Seaweed 101 is co-taught by Jennifer Adler and celebrated whole foods chef Zephyr Dunnicliffe. Both skilled foragers, Jennifer and Zephyr will share the incredible health benefits of seaweed and show you how to deliciously incorporate this miraculous food into your diet and beauty routine.
- Date: August 8-10, 2014
- Accommodations: Tent camping
- Food: Whole foods breakfasts & dinners provided. Check out the delicious sample menus (below) from last year’s workshops.
- Cost: $550 per person. Please register early, workshop is limited to 20 participants.
- Questions? Call 206-595-0376 or email email@example.com.
- Eat, Love, Seaweed: How to bring sea veggies into your diet, everyday.
- Seaweed Science: Identify different seaweed species and learn their role in each tidal zone. (Seaweed identification cards are provided for each student.)
- Holdfast Etiquette: How to harvest seaweed safely and ecologically.
- Culinary Favorites: Make your own miso and more.
- Take Your Vitamins: Boost your immune system and overall health with this miracle plant.
- Play with Your Food: Have fun gathering and eating these ancient plants.
- I Spy Seaweed: How to identify the different seaweed species that you harvest and buy at the market.
- Get Carried Away: Experience what it feels like to sit in an ancient kelp bed.
- Got Kelp? Each participant goes home with a Got Kelp T-shirt and a laminated seaweed I.D. card for future use.
Friday Night Dinner
- Smoky Black Bean Stew topped with Polenta Croutons & Mango Salsa (dulse)
- Pressed Kale Salad with Queso Fresco, Pepitas & Chile Lime Drizzle (arame)
- Sesame Kelp Brittle (kelp)
- Scrambled Eggs or Tofu Scramble
- Summer Vegetable Hash with Toasted Nori
- Nettle Peppermint Infusions
- Hibiscus Orangina
- Not included: We’ll stop by the Lopez Farmer’s Market for lunch.
Saturday Pre-Dinner Snack
- Mezze Platter: Beecher’s Flagship Cheddar, Delice de Buorgone, Olives, Hummus (kelp or dulse) Roasted Nuts, Pita Bread & GF Crackers
- Balsamic & Basil Marinated Salmon (Ground Kelp)
- Balsamic & Basil Marinated Tofu Skewers (kelp)
- Mixed Greens & Arame with Sweet Lemon Vinaigrette (Arame)
- Quinoa Skillet Bread (dried kelp)
- Anise & Vanilla Toasted Coconut Pudding topped with Blackberry Chile Syrup (Agar)
- Lopez Island Vineyards – Madeleine Angevine
- Barbolini Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro
- Steel Cut Oats with Fresh Kelp
- Fresh grilled peaches (Dulse flakes)
- Orange Blossom Infused Yogurt
- Assortment of Toasted Nuts and Dried Fruit
- Gourmet Falafel Platter: Baked Falafel Medallions (Kelp), Red Onion Marmalade, Whole Wheat Pita Bread, Coriander Tzatziki & Kalamata Olives
- Quinoa Tabouli with Honey Citrus Dressing (Fresh Kelp)
- Mixed Greens and Strawberry Salad (Fresh Kelp)